Monday, June 20, 2011

Badging it Up

Let’s do this...day number two here we go. I woke up this morning a little tired and majorly in need of some caffeine. I love hot tea but they only serve “petits” here of drinks and it’s just not worth the three euros you pay for 2 ounces of liquid (I NEED MORE!) Anyhow, I had my notepad in hand and was ready for the first seminar at 9:30 in the morning (without hot tea.) It was Initiative: Rethinking Paid, Earned and Owned: New Rules for Driving Market Performance. I actually learned what paid, earned, and owned media is because I was unaware of these terms before. Paid media is the media that is available for sell (MSN, AOL.) Eared media is how the customer utilizes the brand (Faceboook, Linkedin.) Owned media is major players that a brand owns (Coke, Gap.) I thoroughly enjoyed this part of the presentation. Ok, on to the most important thing of the day. You ready for this? I got to network with the President and CEO of 4A in USA. I knew that President and CEO were big but quickly had to google what 4a was because I had no clue. I instantly learned (from my handy iPhone) that 4A stands for American Association of Advertising Agencies. I was like oh my doing study abroad @ Festival. Y didn’t I do that?” I was just happy I stumbled upon this tweet and from her Twitter page I immediately knew everything about her. Technology seriously blows my mind!

The next seminar was BBDO:Your Next Million. This seminar was definitely for me because it had numerous visual aids and I am such a VISUAL LEARNER!! The speakers gave analogies for the tv, computer, mobile phone, and tablet. The TV is seen as an everyman and jester. This analogy illustrates that the tv is a trusted friendship and the guy who brings humor. The computer is a sage or the one that stands for wisdom and justice. Basically, an older sibling you rely on for information. Your mobile device is seen as your “lover.” This analogy seriously cracked me up. You are deeply connected with it. Finally, the tablet (ipad) is a wizard or the guy that makes things happen in mysterious ways. Interestingly enough, in the over 45 demographic the TV was the most trusted friend but the under 30 demographic viewed television as a friend but preferred to use another friend in many situations (iPhone,iPad.) I grasped this session very well and absolutely adored their presentation!!

Side note here I just wanted to say that I feel like a celebrity with my badge on and it makes me feel really really SPECIAL. This may sound weird but it makes me want to live in a big city and be all metropolitanish with my badge.

Back to reality, I decided to go to the Mindscapes Workshop: The Rules Behind Breaking Creativity Rules. I love creative stuff so I said heck yes I will be attending. The speaker, Yonathan Dominitz from Israel, showed a variety of national campaigns that took a different twist on how to market their brand. For example, MTV Australia used Snoop Dogg as a way to attract young subscribers. You may wonder how this is feasible? (ha I did too!) MTV needed more subscribers because their youth mistrusted advertisements. So, the solution...when Snoop Dogg was supposed to go to jail in America, MTV Australia created a website and petition for Snoop to come to Australia. The youth were completely fired up and were signing their life away online because number one he is a celebrity (we want you in Australia!!) and two their parents disagreed with this absurd rationale, which in return made the kids want to do it even more. MTV successfully made advertising not look like advertising. I thought this was SO COOL and made me wonder hmmm am I fit for the advertising world?

Shortly after, I munched on my protein bar as I headed off to the Microsoft Advertising Experience Center. Major sponsors have a tent/private area set up for them to get away from the hustle of the seminars. It was the most sophisticated lounge place on the beach. They also invited us to their Beach Party Wednesday night so look for updates about that soon!

Finally, the last two seminars I attended were pretty boring. I would love to say that they were outstanding, instrumental, and eye opening but they were not. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who thought this because both of the guys sitting beside me had dozed off and they WEREN’T students.

Also, I forgot to note earlier that they have free vitamin water, coke zero, and ice cream everyday. What’s not to love about this festival?

No comments:

Post a Comment