Thursday, June 23, 2011

Your Passion is a Priority

So it’s now 7:15 here and I’m exhausted. I have random things that need to be written so here we go. I have eaten Caesar salads for the last three meals because I’m sick of pizza and pasta. This is the first time in my life I have been tired of BREAD (my most favorite food!) People are just a little more touch feely here than in the US and at times it’s kind of creepy. I’m really craving some Chick-Fil-A chicken minis/Mexican food because they have neither. I just had to throw that out there now back to the day.

Ok, so this morning I chose to attend the seminar entitled Technology Transforming Creativity, which featured will.i.am from the Black Eyed Peas. Our whole group was pumped about him because he is a HUGE deal. Well, basically he’s featured in a lot of hip-hop/rap songs that are P-O-P-U-L-A-R. I was a little disappointed in the seminar because I wanted to know how technology was transforming creativity but they never really went into great detail. He explained that you must take an idea and turn it into reality. His advice to all was, “Whatever your passion is don’t wait for others to come along and do it. Take personal risks for yourself and your community.” I think this pretty much sums up my time in France so far. My passion may not ever be in the world of advertising but taking the initiative to attend this study abroad program and to make friends with 22 complete strangers is a risk in itself. If you don’t experience things and take risks you won’t know when others jump ahead of you and will eventually miss out on the most amazing experiences.

The other inspiring speaker we had today was an Egyptian filmmaker, Amr Salama. He was 90% self taught and studied mainly by watching videos on the Internet (say what???.) He had produced and directed his first film by the age of 19 (oh my gosh what am I doing with my life?!?!) Also, he has directed and written two feature films! I loved when he said, “If you don’t believe in the product, you won’t see it.” He would never be in the spot he is today if he didn’t believe in himself. This made me so interested in him because first of all he is self-taught, second he lives in Egypt, and third he is so legit. It made me really want to go watch all of his movies in my spare time (of which I don’t have any of right now haha)

We came back early today and got some wonderful dinner and gelato. Getting some sleep for tomorrow because it’s the last FULL day of the festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment